Sunday, January 4, 2009
Brownies in 2009
You wouldn't think that a cut apart rubber Brownie would make me so happy, but this one sure does. It is the goal that I worked all week for. This little rubber donkey is just perfect. The mold that made him is going to allow me to use him and make plaster production molds. His head, his forelegs, and his body will all be seperate molds and then will be attached in the greenware stage. The innovation that you see, which is really a breakthrough from past molds, is that I cut the RUBBER instead of the resin original. Cutting the resin was difficult and tricky, and because the dremel takes away a lot of material, it created castings that have to be given a great deal of extra attention to put back together. However, by cutting the rubber, I was able to get razor blade exactness, and when he is put together, he should fit like those giant stone bricks on a Mayan temple. Or something like that.
I did something else kind of strange. I poured him through his forehead!! Yikes! Well, I had a good reason to do so. You see, the ultimate goal was to pour the castings through the neck of the body, but I couldn't arrange that until the head was off. I couldn't cut the head off until I had a rubber casting. I couldn't get a rubber casting until I had a pour hole to pour the rubber through. So, I though to myself... "where can I put the pour hole that I can later re-pour right against the original, and not have a scar where the pour hole was?" Then it came to me... I could pour plaster right against his head! It should release just fine, because of the way the piece is engineered, and I can use the rubber head for the rest of the plaster pours. That is the best of both worlds. So, let's hope it works.
Aardvark Clay isn't open until tomorrow, they took the whole week off, so I will need to go up there for plaster before I can make the production molds. When the molds are made, I will then post an article on exactly how the mold was made, start to finish, because only when you see what I wanted to accomplish, can you understand the decisions I made. He is now a pretty straightforward mold to make, so thank goodness... there will be nice warm Brownies in 2009!
Posted by Joanie at 10:06 AM